Women’s economic empowerment is not a matter for government policy, the private sector, or social change alone. All have critical roles to play. This is why the International Trade Centre has launched the SheTrades Initiative, which seeks to connect three million women entrepreneurs to market by 2021. The SheTrades Initiative provides women entrepreneurs and women-owned SMEs around the world with a unique network and platform to connect to markets.
Global support ITC SheTrades collects gender-disaggregated data (e.g. NTM surveys, EU surveys, SheTrades Outlook). SheTrades also works to create an enabling ecosystem for women to thrive by promoting equitable policies. Moreover, ITC, partly through SheTrades provides online training and mentoring for women entrepreneurs. Lastly, SheTrades.com gives women entrepreneurs a platform, a one-stop shop in which to share, learn, and do business on a global scale.
In-country interventionsThrough projects and national hubs, ITC SheTrades is present in 25 countries, including Zambia, The Gambia, and a growing number of Commonwealth countries. In-country interventions to support women entrepreneurs and women-owned businesses have a sectoral focus and incorporate a few of the 7 pillars including skills, access to markets, access to financial services, etc. Several countries have embraced the Initiative and adapted it to local context through the creation of national chapters.
Global PartnershipsThe ITC SheTrades framework allows for collaboration with partners who provide their expertise to achieve greater impact and scalability. Some of the initiative’s core private sector partners include eBay, Maersk, UPS, and Barclays Bank. ITC SheTrades also builds the capacity of local institutions, including business support organisations, and incorporates government priorities to ensure the long-term sustainability of ITC’s support.
SheTrades.com Shetrades.com (website and mobile app) is a unique platform for women-owned businesses, organisations, companies and ITC SheTrades partner institutions:
• Women entrepreneurs can use the platform to showcase their businesses, build strong networks, strike business deals, increase their credibility and connect to markets.
• Companies and individual buyers can use shetrades.com to include more women entrepreneurs in their supply chains, by sourcing specific products & services from women-owned businesses.
• Registered users can gain free access to SheTrades Virtual Learning, the core training hub for the SheTrades initiative, where they can participate in group activities and live webinars, and take courses developed by experts.
• Users can apply for workshops, trade fairs and other business events. Within a growing number of countries, women entrepreneurs registered with SheTrades are given opportunities to attend dynamic and enriching in-country activities, all of which are made possible by ITC SheTrades partners and sponsors.
• Users can stay up to date with ITC SheTrades activities, news, success stories, videos, publications and more. There is a lot of action to be witnessed, information to be shared, and conversations to be had within the SheTrades community.
SheTrades is ready to connect women entrepreneurs to markets. Be part of this network. Join SheTrades!Register on the SheTrades website: www.shetrades.com and download the mobile app! Available on Android and IOS.
Women & Procurement
An E-Learning course provided by the ITC SME Trade Academy